Andrew Jackson Scavenger Hunt
an Internet Treasure Hunt on Andrew Jackson
created by Mike Kaechele
Allegan Alternative High
The Questions |
Use the sites at the bottom of this page to explore the internet and to learn about Andrew Jackson. Answer as many questions as you can about our seventh president. You can use the link to the Andrew Jackson Hotlist to see descripions and categories of the websites. You should look at at least two of the 'Jackson Biographies' links and answer questions 1-7. You must look at the site under 'Jackson and Democracy' to answer question 8 and the sites under 'Personal' to answer #'s 9-14. You should look at at least two of the 'Trail of Tears' links to answer questions 15-19. Make sure you write two paragraphs in answering the Big Question at the bottom of the page even if you do not have time to finish all of the other questions!!!
- Where was Jackson born?
What state did he move to and later become a senator for?
- What college did he attend?
- What political party did he form?
- What was the 'kitchen cabinet?'
- What was the 'spoils system?'
- What were two of Jackson's nicknames? How did he get them?
- Name some firsts for Andrew Jackson.
- Name one reason that Andrew Jackson was popular.
- What was Jackson's wife's maiden name?
Explain the strange circumstances of their marriage.
- When did Rachel die? Who did Jackson blame for her death?
Describe the presidential campaign of 1828.
- How did Jackson get a scar on his cheek?
How many bullets did he have lodged in his body?
- Explain how Jackson got the bullet only two inches from his chest.
What in your opinion was his most interesting physical problem?
- Do you think Jackson favored states' rights or a strong central government? Explain
- How does Jackson feel about equality and democracy?
- Who wrote a Cherokee alaphabet?
- Describe the Cherokee lifestyle in Georgia.
- What was the Indian Removal Act?
- What is the story behind the Cherokee Rose?
- How many Cherokees traveled on the Trail of Tears: How many died?
The Internet Resources
The Big Question
Write a paragraph about how it must have felt to have been a Cherokee forced to leave Georgia. Write a second paragraph describing what kind of person Andrew Jackson was. Be sure to talk about his personality, character, beliefs, and acts as president.
Content by Mike Kaechele, email@example.com
Last revised Thu Oct 9 13:01:49 US/Pacific 2003