The Nifty Fifty States
An Internet Hotlist on The Fifty States
created by Julie Foster
Stone Harbor Elementary School
| General Information
| Current Statistics
| Places to Visit
| Cool State Stuff
Learning about the 50 states can actually be fun! Click on these sites to find out just about everything you want to know about your favorite states. You never know what you'll find.
The Internet Resources
- States and Capitals
- Click on any one of the 50 state folders to get all kinds of information on each state such as maps, population, area, and links to further information on each state. For fun - click on the “state songs” file at the bottom to hear midi samples and lyrics of each state’s song
- The US50 – A guide to the fifty states
- Click any state on the US map to find out information on the history, outdoors, tourism, events, and attractions. Additional state links are provided. For fun – checkout the “Backyard USA” section for a firsthand account of the state.
- Facts About the United States
- Another 'Click on the state' site, but this one offers the basic facts on the first page of each state, with links if you want more information. There is also a quiz you can take to test your knowledge of the state capitals.
- State Symbols, Flags, Seals, Geography, and People of the States
- The name says it all. Clear,concise information presented in and easy-to-read format. Especially interesting are the state quarter pics and info.
- Explore the States
- Sponsored by the Library of Congress, this is not your 'just the facts' site. Click on a state and instead you'll get a list of interesting informational stories to pick from. Really neat site if you're looking for something extra!
- US States
- Another “click-on-state” site. This one is extremely kid-friendly with all the traditional facts and a few that you won’t find anywhere else, like where dinosaur fossils found.
- United States
- A great kid-friendly site that provides links to all kinds of neat tidbits about each state, from tourist attractions, to governenment, to neat stories. For instance, under Idaho you can find out about Butch Cassidy and under Washington you can find out about the latest eruptions of Mt. St. Helens. Warning, each state takes awhile to download.
- U.S States
- What a great site! You can click on a state and get info on that state, or scroll down and click on a topic(ex. 'Nicknames') and get a list for all 50 states. A great teacher tool!
- Educate the USA
- I just discoved this United States website, and it's definitely worth a bookmark! Not only does it have information on each of the 50 states, but a lot of general info as well. This was obviously designed with kids in mind.
- Geography and Climate of the 50 States
- Click on a state and get the geographic facts and link to climate of that state.
- 50 United States Sites
- This is just what it says - 50 websites all dealing with the 50 United States. Many are on this hotlist, but a lot aren't but are worth looking at. Just turn down the volume on your computer if you don't want to hear the music over and over.
- Official U.S. State Songs, Flags
- I included this site because it has not only the lyrics to each of the 50 state songs, but the tunes as well in MIDI form.
- Coloring Book of Flags: United States of America
- What the title says and more! Click on a state and get a flag to color as well as information on the flag's design.
- UHaul Supergraphics
- You know those great state graphics on the UHaul trucks? Now you can see them up close and use them. Just click on a picture and there it is.
- Postcards From America
- You can enjoy a new picture from somewhere in the US each day, or scroll down the archives to find pictures from any particular state.
- Average and Record Temperatures
- Part of the Weather Channel - just plug in a city and get the average temperatures for each month of the year, and all kinds of other info too. You can also find the curren temp and weather for anywhere in the US on this site.
- Factfinder Kids Corner
- Get current US census data on each state in a kid-friendly format by simply clicking on a state. There is also a quiz for each state along with information about the US Census.
- Washington Post
- Click on a state to find current news stories.
- Department of Agriculture Statistics
- Click on a state to find a variety of agricultural statistics for that state.
Places to Visit
- US States Links
- Click on any state on the map and you’ll be linked directly to that state’s official website.
- Phil’s Place Tourism guide
- This site enables you to like directly to each state’s tourism website.
- Best of the Best State Parks
- The country’s state parks are listed by state. You can click on each state park to find pictures and a description.
- USA Citylink
- Click on a state to find further links to information about major cities in that state. Good for finding tourism info.
- Key to the City
- This site enables you to find basic information on any town in any state in the United States.
Cool State Stuff
- State License Plates
- The name says it all. You’ll find photographs of all fifty state license plates and even a checklist for you to use during trips!
- Color Landform Atlas of the United States
- This site has links for every state to just about every kind of map you might want.
- Governors' Favorite Recipes
- Each state's governor has submitted their favorite recipe to share. Click on the state to find how to make a yummy dish made of foods indigenous to each state.
- Find the State Quiz
- Although it takes a while to download, this is a great way to test your knowledge of state geography. They give you the state, you find it on the map.
- Great US maps
- A great list of maps showing various types of informations about the United States.
- Sheet MusicPlus - Fifty Nifty United States
- Several people have e-mailed me asking about this song. Well here is where you can order the song and the lyrics. I have tried to find a site to download the song for free, but no luck yet.
- Goegraphy Quiz
- Test your knowledge of the 50 states.
- American Folklore
- Folklore, tall tales, and legends from all of the 50 states.
- Learning the States of the United States
- A cute site to help memorize the names of the fifty states.
- 50 States Recipes
- A recipe for each state. Some examples: Spare ribs Hawaiin, Nebraska Cornbread, Illinois Apple Pie.
- Traditional State Recipes and Foods
- This site has a lot of information regarding state foods. I liked it for the information more than the recipes. Includes a list of traditional foods for each state, and links to agricultural statistics.
- 50 States of Mind
- Click on a state to get a mnemonic picture to help remember the state. Pretty cool!
- How to Memorize the United States of America
- This is another mnemonic device created by a teacher to help students memorize the different states in each region.
- States and Capitals
- If your into mnemonics, this in another.
Content by Julie Foster, email@example.com
Last revised Mon Jan 12 8:29:51 US/Pacific 2004