||San Juan Bautista||
page 1 of 2
San Juan Bautista
Father Fermín Lasuén founded Mission San Juan Bautista in June 1797. The founders did not know that the Mission was built on the San Andreas fault. Although it suffered no real damage for 150 years, the 1906 earthquake destroyed it. The now-restored church, the largest of the Mission churches, has only half its original buildings. In the mid-1800s other parts of the mission were converted into hotels and other businesses.
This painting is called a triptych, which means it has three parts, or panels. The triptych tradition can be traced to medieval times, when a central painting would be accompanied by two corresponding side panels. Tupa's triptych is a modern version of this practice.
First posted April, 2001.
© ©2013 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners. AT&T 36USC220506 Please read our Disclaimer.